A motorcycle is ideal transportation used by many to move from one place to another. For example, it is easy to use for commuting to work or sending the kids to school amid the traffic congestion during peak hours. But it is not always easy for them as several risks await motorcyclists. For instance, motorcycle thefts are on the rise nowadays. According to statistics recorded in 2020, there are 16,057 cases involving motorcycles.
Meanwhile, cars recorded lower cases at 4,596 and heavy vehicles at 4,596.
Therefore, what can motorcyclists do to avoid experiencing such untoward incident? Are they allowed to file for an insurance claim? Read on as we share more in detail.
Can you claim insurance for motorcycle theft?
The answer is yes, you can. However, you must meet the requirement:
- You must have comprehensive insurance or third party, fire and theft insurance
- You must have valid motorcycle licence
Steps to claim insurance in the event of motorcycle theft
Without further ado, let us explain the procedure to claim insurance in the event of motorcycle theft.
- Lodge a police report within 24 hours after the event. You need to provide MyKad and a valid motorcycle licence.
- Get a copy of your motorcycle grant and motorcycle insurance policy
- Make a report to your insurance company. Get a claim form and fill in the required details and send it to the officer in charge
- Wait for your insurer to contact you for an interview session for oral and written testimony. You will receive an offer letter an offer letter prior to an approval.
- You need to provide the following documents:
- Offer approval letter (attached with offer letter)
- JPJ Form TM-AB (copy of identity card stamped and certified by JPJ officer)
- Form JPJ K3 (2 pieces) and Form JPJ K8 (1 piece)
- Key relief by the hire-purchase company if the loan has expired
- Vehicle key (notification letter if key is lost)
- Original Vehicle Registration Card (Grant)
*Note: Your claim process is considered complete once you receive payment/ compensation by the insurance company.
Ensure your motorcycle gets the best insurance coverage
Motorcycle theft can unexpectedly happen at any time.
We certainly do not wish this unfortunate incident to befallen you. But you must prepare earlier in case such a thing happens to you. Make sure to insure your motorcycle adequately.
Your insurance coverage will be able to protect you against financial strains in the event of motorcycle theft. You can file an insurance claim to your insurer to cover the cost of your loss.
We suggest you start surveying the best insurance plan for your motorcycle at Bjak. You can compare across 15 insurance brands to get the price in the market. Visit Bjak’s website today to receive free quotes.